Sunday 27 February 2011

A home at the end of the world

I saw this film a few years ago, and enjoyed it so decided to rent it again on lovefilm. I liked watching it second time around. It is based on the novel by Michael Cunningham (who won a Pulitzer prize for his novel the Hours). It tells the story of Bobby (Colin Farrell) and Jonathan (Dallas Roberts) who grow up together in suburban Cleveland; Bobby is straight and Jonathan is gay. Jonathan moves away after school, to live in New York, where Bobby goes and joins him some time later. The two of them share a flat with Clare (Robin Wright Penn), and the film is basically about the unconventional family they form. One aspect which I had forgotten about, but greatly enjoyed, was the music from the 80s that is played during the film, including the first ever time I have heard Steve Reich's music profiled - made me think of my good friend Jonathan who is a big fan! Bobby, Jonathan and Clare eventually settle in a rural location in New York state and set up a bakery / cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment