Tuesday 5 April 2011

The night watch

I went to see this film as part of the London Lesbian & Gay film festival, at the BFI on the South Bank (NFT1).  Nice comfy seats, and I had a bit of an intermittent snooze during the first 30 minutes (I always find myself quite warm in NFT1).  The film is an adaptation of a novel by Sarah Waters (who subsequently took part in an interview and Q&A session).  The film / book is set during and after the second world war, and is about four main characters, three of whom are in a triangular lesbian relationship.  The fourth is a young man who is in prison.  Somewhat confusingly, but intriguingly,the plot goes backwards - i.e. we start in 1947, and then go back to 1944 and then 1941 - so you have to pay attention!  I have to say that I didn't warm to the film as much as I was expecting to - I usually enjoy period pieces very much, but this one seemed a bit flimsy to me - e.g. it was shot in Bristol, but was meant to be London during the blitz, with silhouettes of St Pauls cathedral, etc.  I also just didn't really click with the characters.  In the interview Sarah came across as a very interesting, eloquent person, who spoke widely about writing Tipping the velvet and all her other work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment