Monday 27 February 2012

Project Nim

I rented this on Lovefilm. It is the tale of an experiment run by a Columbia University professor in the 1970s to effectively humanise a chimpanzee - have him live with a family, teach him sign language, etc. I can't say I am drawn to the world of chimps but it was pretty interesting to see how many words he could master. Somewhat strangely few of the participants in the experiment seemed to have thought what Nim might be like when he had the strength of five adults and side teeth which one person described as fangs. I am no zoology professor but even I can tell you that! Look out for the slightly freaky scenes where Nim is cuddling a nice pussy cat and where he gives one of his teachers a friendly bite - think of it as a small nip in the ankle a la Sheba!

No comments:

Post a Comment