Tuesday 27 October 2015

Miss you already

I saw this film at the beautiful Orpheum cinema in Cremorne, on a cold blustery evening. I treated myself to a salted caramel choc top - yummy!  The film stars Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore as Milly and Jess, two women in their 30s who have been friends since childhood.  Inseparable, they've shared everything - all of life's ups and downs.  The film portrays a period when both of them are dealing with life changing news.

I thought that the film was going to be a bit cliché ridden but I have to say I was very moved by it.  It deals with challenging issues in an upfront but gentle and perceptive way, and it has the added bonus of being set in London and Yorkshire, so I was feeling all homesick by the end of the film.  Some strong supporting performances by Dominic Cooper (husband of one of the women), Jacqueline Bisset (mother of one of the women) and Frances de la Tour.

The film is based on a radio play by Morwenna Banks, and is directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

I would definitely recommend the film, though prepare to weep!

No comments:

Post a Comment