Monday 16 May 2011

My dog Tulip

I went to see this film at the Richmond Odeon Studio - one of my new local cinemas now that I have moved house.  There were two other people watching the film, so it wasn't exactly a sell-out.  It is an animated film that is based on a book by JR Ackerley, a man who died in the 1950s or 1960s, and lived a relatively solitary life.  In his 50s he built up a very strong relationship with his dog, an Alsatian called Tulip - who reminded me a little bit of the late lamented Sheba (who used to nip your ankles just to let you know she was there).  I read the book about five years ago, but had forgotten how much of the material is about Tulip's toilet habits, and Ackerley's attempt to breed her.  The associated stories are entertaining and endearing, but suffice to say that you don't want to watch this film whilst you are having a meal, or if you have a bit of a "jippy" tummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment